Custom Technology Workshops
Do students in your class, student org, or lab group need specific software skills in order to complete a project or reach a professional development goal? Software Training for Students student trainers can design and deliver custom workshops, at no cost to instructors or students.
Any of our open-enrollment workshops can be tailored to fit your needs. Our most popular topics include Audacity, Excel, iMovie, PowerPoint, Prezi, and WordPress. We can also create a completely new class, depending on available trainer expertise.
We can teach custom workshops at nearly any time of day on weekdays and Sundays, and we'll even reserve a computer lab for you, if needed. The only requirement is that at least 8 students attend each session.
Request a Workshop
To get started, please fill out our Custom Workshop Request Form or email us at email@example.com with the following information:
- Course department and number OR student org, lab group, etc name
- Workshop topic
- Number of students
- Desired dates/times (at least 2 weeks' lead time is preferred)
- Workshop location (DoIT lab reserved by Software Training for Students or a space that you've reserved see Workshop FAQs below for more info)
We'll respond to your request within 1-2 days to clarify any details (please allow extra time on weekends/holidays). We'll then make a lab reservation (if needed), schedule student trainers, and send an email confirming your workshop date, time and location.
About a week before your workshop, the student trainer leading your session will email you to finalize content and any other pertinent details.
- When can Software Training for Students teach custom workshops?
- STS can deliver instruction any time of day Mon-Fri (including regularly scheduled class meeting times) and on Sundays. Trainers are typically available 9am-9pm on weekdays and 12-9pm on Sundays. Other times may be possible, subject to trainers' personal schedules.
- How much lead-time is needed to set up a custom workshop?
- To ensure that we have adequate time to schedule and prepare for your workshop, please submit your request at least 2 weeks before your desired workshop date.
We'll do our best to accommodate shorter timelines, but computer lab spaces and student trainer schedules fill up quickly, so we can't guarantee lab and trainer availability.
- I need help planning my workshop can I meet with someone at Software Training for Students?
- Absolutely! If your workshop request is complex or you're not sure which technology to choose, we're happy to meet with you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a meeting with a member of our management staff.
- Where do custom workshops take place?
- Depending on the size of your group, the topic of your workshop, and your departmental affiliation, several options are available:
DoIT Classroom Labs (no departmental affiliation requirements)
Software Training for Students can reserve these spaces on your behalf at no cost (subject to availability). These labs are equipped with a wide range of software, including the Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office.
|Professional Technical Education Classroom Labs||B109, B203, and B207 Computer Sciences|
1210 W. Dayton St.
|15 Dual Boot iMacs|
|College of Ag. & Life Sciences Classroom Labs||150 and 204 Animal Sciences|
1675 Observatory Dr.
|Rm 150 - 21 Dual Boot iMacs|
Rm 204 35 Windows 7 PCs
|College Library Computer Media Center Classroom||2257 College Library|
600 N. Park St.
|14 Dual Boot iMacs|
|DoIT Academic Technology Computer Lab||B1144A Biochemistry|
420 Henry Mall
|30 Dual Boot iMacs|
Departmental Classroom Labs (subject to departmental affiliation)
Many departments on campus maintain computer classrooms for use by classes and/or student organizations affiliated with those departments. Examples include:
Software Training for Students can assist you in locating a departmental lab; depending on the lab, you may be required to request the actual reservation. Software in these labs varies widely, and is not managed by DoIT contact individual labs for complete information.
Your Regular Classroom/Meeting Room
Software Training for Students can teach workshops in your regular meeting space if:
- All (or most) students have laptop computers with access to needed software
- The classroom/meeting space is equipped with a projector
For more information about Custom Workshops, please contact us!
- email@example.com (monitored during business, evening, and weekend hours)
- Marcus Miers - Program Manager
(608) 265-6699 (typically available during business hours)
- Pete Valeo - Workshop Coordinator
(608) 890-3620 (Typically available afternoons)
- Aimee Crittendon - Workshop Coordinator
(608) 265-4615 (Typically available mornings)